The present research deals with the provisions of the Russian Constitution, the Civil Procedure Code of the Russian Federation, the Code of Administrative Procedure of the Russian Federation, and draft normative and legal acts, whose norms are aimed at streamlining the legal services market, as well as consolidating professional judicial representation in the civil process. The paper features the role of the lawyer in the civil process and some aspects of pro bono legal assistance. The author identifies three main approaches to the issue of the introduction of professional legal assistance in the civil process. Each of the approaches has advantages and disadvantages. In the opinion of the author, the modern institute of lawyers meets all professionalism-related requirements. The Bar Association has all the possibilities for uniting those who want to provide professional legal assistance under the auspices of the Federal Chamber of Advocates. The introduction of advocate's monopoly is necessary for the uniform professional standards of legal support that would be the same for the whole professional community.
civil procedure, lawyer, advocate monopoly, qualified legal assistance, pro bono legal assistance
1. Vlasenko V. N., Mikhaleva A. E. Pravovoi rezhim otvetstvennosti iuristov v svete proekta kontseptsii regulirovaniia rynka iuridicheskoi pomoshchi [Legal regime of lawyer responsibility in the light of project of legal assistance market regulation concept]. Advokatskaia praktika = Advocate practice, no. 3 (2017): 3–8.
2. Pilipenko Iu. S. Voidut v polozhenie. Predlagaetsia dat' advokatam iskliuchitel'noe pravo na zashchitu grazhdan v sudakh (intervʹiu provel V. Kulikov, 10.03.2015 "RG") [They will show understanding. It is proposed to give lawyers an exclusive right to represent citizens in courts (interview conducted by V. Kulikov)]. Vestnik Federal'noi palaty advokatov RF = Bulletin of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation, no. 2 (2015): 213–219.
3. Zaborovskij V. V. Mery distsiplinarnoi otvetstvennosti advokata: sravnitel'no-pravovoi aspekt [Measures of disciplinary responsibility of a laywer: comparative-law aspect]. Advokatskaia praktika = Advocate practice, no. 3 (2015): 12–13.
4. Bogomolov M. V. Osobennosti sovremennoj klassifikacii pravogo instituta sudebnogo (processual'nogo) predstavitel'stva v grazhdanskom i arbitrazhnom processe [Features of modern classification of the legal institution of legal (procedural) representation in civil and arbitral procedure of the Russian Federation]. Vestnik Povolzhskoi akademii gosudarstvennoi sluzhby = Bulletin of the Volga Academy of Civil Service, no. 1 (2014): 47–53.
5. Kiminchizhi E. Net predela sovershenstvu [There is no limit to perfection]. EZh-Iurist = EL-Lawyer, no. 47 (2014): 3.
6. Larchenkova M. Monopoliia advokatov. V poiskakh istiny [Monopoly of lawyers. In search of truth]. EZh-Iurist = EL-Lawyer, no. 19 (2016): 1, 3.
7. Roschin D. Yu. Optimizatsiya instituta sudebnykh raskhodov v grazhdanskom protsesse Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Optimization of legal costs institute in civil procedure in the Russian Federation]. Administrator suda = Court Administrator, no. 2 (2017): 25–28.
8. Tret'iakova D. Advokatskaia Monopoliia: mify i real'nost' (15.02.2018, Avant-Partner) [Monopoly of lawyers: myths and reality (02.15.2018, Avant-Partner)]. Vestnik Federal'noi palaty advokatov RF = Bulletin of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation, no. 1 (2018): 324–329.
9. Chudinovskaia N. A. Nekotorye aspekty uchastiia advokata v arbitrazhnom protsesse [Some aspects of participation of the advocate in arbitral procedure]. Arbitrazhnyi i grazhdanskii protsess = Arbitration and civil procedure, no. 12 (2013): 16–21.
10. Mel'nichenko R. G. Neobkhodima li advokatskaia monopoliia na rynke iuridicheskikh uslug? [Is a lawyer's monopoly on the legal services market necessary?]. Zakon = The Law, no. 4 (2008): 65–68.
11. Grib V. Interv'iu s prezidentom Federal'noi palaty advokatov RF doktorom iuridicheskih nauk Iuriem Sergeevichem Pilipenko [Interview with the President of the Federal Chamber of Advocates of the Russian Federation Yuri Sergeevich Pilipenko, D.J.S.]. Iuridicheskii mir = The legal world, no. 9 (2016): 6–11.
12. Berseneva T. Vmesto advokatskoi monopolii – advokatskaia spravedlivost' (01.04.2015 Pravo-ru) [Instead of the monopoly of lawyers there will be the justice of lawyers (01.04.2015 Right-ru)]. Vestnik Federal'noi palaty advokatov RF = Bulletin of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers of the Russian Federation, no. 2 (2015): 256–260.
13. Savostyanova O. N. Komissiia FPA po etike i standartam – griadushchaia novella zakonodatel'stva ob advokatskoi deiatel'nosti i advokature: paralleli istorii [Commission of the Federal Chamber of Lawyers on ethics and standards – upcoming innovations in legislation on advocacy: historical parallels]. Advokatskaia praktika = Advocate practice, no. 1 (2017): 38–42.