Introduction. The present paper features some approaches to the pedagogical foundations that shape the self-stury culture of a future civil engineer. Personal qualities of students play an important role in technical education, as the profession of a civil engineer is associated with extreme responsibility. The study is based on the activity theory, which states that one can gain social experience only as a result of one’s own activities, i.e. through contextual training. According to the theory of contextual learning, transmitting information to the student is not enough, it is student’s own internally motivated activity that matters. Results. The paper is based on various researches devoted to unsupervised activities on various subjects and authors’ own observations and experiments. The authors believe that university students are not ready for unsupervised learning, mostly because secondary school did not prepare them for it. Our data show that first-year students cannot plan their actions to achieve a certain goal in solving specific tasks; they are unable to rank tasks according to priority and time factor; finally, their self-organization and communication skills leave much to be desired. Thus, the level of self-study culture in future civil engineers is extremely low. The paper features some pedagogical foundations that contribute to the formation of self-study culture. The foundations incorporate pedagogical technologies based on the activity theory, e. g. project and problem-based learning, case methods, business games, etc. Conclusion. The abovementioned pedagogical techniques are of particular value for the modern educational process that involves future civil engineers and their unsupervised activities. Technical education should raise an awareness of responsibility, both for students’ own self-studies and for the formation of the qualities required for success in their future professional career.
time budget, contextual learning, intradisciplinary communication, interdisciplinary communication, heuristic unsupervised activities, organizational and pedagogical conditions, organizational and pedagogical foundations, pedagogical technologies
1. Ryskulova M. N. Tendentsiia stanovleniia samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov tekhnicheskogo vuza [Trends in technical college students' independent work development]. Chelovek i obrazovanie = Man and Education, no. 2 (2012): 105–109.
2. Nevzorov B. P., Riabykh S. M. Uchim uchitʹsia [Teach how to learn]. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii = Higher Education in Russia, no. 3 (1994): 49–52.
3. Konoplyansky D. A., Nevzorov B. P. Pedagogicheskaia strategiia formirovaniia konkurentosposobnosti vypusknika vuza [Pedagogical strategy of forming the competitiveness of a university graduate]. Moscow: Sputnik+, 2016, 251.
4. Turbina N. E. Pedagogicheskie usloviia organizatsii samostoiatelʹnoi deiatelʹnosti studentov v obrazovatelʹnom protsesse universiteta. Diss. kand. ped. nauk [Pedagogical conditions of the organization of independent activity of students in the educational process of the university. Cand. Ped. Sci. Diss.]. Voronezh, 2011, 261.
5. Meshcheriakova E. V., Olferovich A. B., Usevich V. A. Napravlenie razvitiia samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov [The direction of development of independent work of students]. Trudy BGU. № 8. Uchebno-metodicheskaia rabota = Works of the Belarusian State Technological University. Series 8. Educational and methodical work, no. 8 (2015): 141–144.
6. Leontʹev A. N. Filosofiia psikhologii. Iz nauchnogo naslediia [Philosophy of psychology. From scientific heritage]. Ed. Leontʹev A. A., Leontʹev D. A. Moscow: Izd-vo MGU, 1994, 228.
7. Vygotsky L. S. Pedagogicheskaia psikhologiia [Pedagogical psychology]. Ed. Davydov V. V. Moscow: Pedagogika-Press, 1999, 536.
8. Verbitsky A. A. Kontekstnoe obuchenie: poniatie i soderzhanie [Contextual learning: concept and content]. Eksperiment i innovatsii v shkole = Experiment and innovation in school, no. 4 (2009): 8–13.
9. Ananʹev B. G. Chelovek kak predmet poznaniia [Man as a subject of knowledge]. Saint-Petersburg: Piter, 2001, 288.
10. Artemova Iu. V. Formirovanie konkurentosposobnosti budushchego zhurnalista v obrazovatelʹnom protsesse universiteta. Avtoref. diss. kand. ped. nauk [Formation of the competitiveness of the future journalist in the educational process of the university. Cand. Ped. Sci. Diss. Abstr.]. Elets, 2012, 22.
11. Shingareva M. V. Organizatsiia samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov vuza v usloviiakh realizatsii FGOS VPO [Organization of independent work of university students in the context of the implementation of the FSES VPO]. Vestnik FGOU VPO MGAU = Bulletin of V. P. Goryachkin Moscow State Agroengineering University, no. 4 (2015): 24–29.
12. Rudina T. V. Organizatsiia samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov bakalavriata vuzov na osnove poznavatelʹno-deiatelʹnostnoi matritsy. Diss. kand. ped. nauk [Organization of independent work of undergraduate students of universities based on the cognitive activity matrix. Cand. Ped. Sci. Diss.]. Samara, 2012, 213.
13. Verbitsky A. A. Teoriia i tekhnologii kontekstnogo obrazovaniia [Theory and technology of contextual education]. Moscow: MGPU, 2017, 248.
14. Vlasenko A. A., Soboleva N. V., Sobolev S. V., Marzhenakov M. V. Kompetentnostnyi podkhod k sovershenstvovaniiu samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov [Competence-based approach to improving the independent work of students]. Fundamentalʹnye issledovaniia = Fundamental research, no. 9-10 (2014): 2298–2302.
15. Redlikh S. M., Kozyreva O. A. Sistema printsipov formirovaniia kulʹtury samostoiatelʹnoi raboty pedagoga kak mekhanizm realizatsii uslovii produktivnogo pedagogicheskogo vzaimodeistviia [System of principles forming independent work culture of a teacher as a technique to realize terms of efficient pedagogical interaction]. Professionalʹnoe obrazovanie v Rossii i za rubezhom = Professional Education in Russia and Abroad, no. 1 (2012): 27–29.
16. Osnovy pedagogiki i psikhologii v vysshei shkole [Foundations for pedagogy and psychology in higher education]. Ed. Petrovskii A. V. Moscow: MGU, 1986, 303.
17. Rubanik A. N., Bolʹshakova G. I., Telʹnykh N. V. Samostoiatelʹnaia rabota studentov [Independent work of students]. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii = Higher education in Russia, no. 6. (2005): 120–124
18. Zubareva T. A., Malkovets N. V. Sozdanie seti vzaimodeistviia vuza s partnerami dlia osvoeniia proektnoi sostavliaiushchei v professii [Interaction network between a higher education institution and its partners as a professional project component]. Bulletin of Kemerovo State University. Series: Humanities and Social Sciences, no. 1 (2018): 15–21.
19. Hwang W. V., Horowitt G. Tropicheskii les. Sekret sozdaniia sleduiushchei Silikonovoi doliny [The rainforest. How to build the next silicon valley]. Tomsk: Izd-vo Tomsk. gos. un-ta system upr. i radioelektroniki, 2012, 332.
20. Isakova T. B. Proektirovanie tekhnologii organizatsii samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov v usloviiakh realizatsii kompetentnostnogo podkhoda v professionalʹnom obrazovanii [The design technology of organization of independent work of students in the conditions of realization of the competence approach in vocational education]. Vestnik Volzhskogo universiteta im. V. N. Tatishcheva = Vestnik of Volzhsky University after V. N. Tatischev, no. 2(18) (2015): 97–105.
21. Kleshcheva I. V. Otsenka effektivnosti nauchno-issledovatelʹskoi deiatelʹnosti studentov [Evaluation of the research efficiency of students]. Saint-Petersburg: NIU ITMO, 2014, 91.
22. Isakova T. B., Galaguzova M. A. Kriterii otsenki effektivnosti organizatsii samostoiatelʹnoi raboty studentov v usloviiakh realizatsii kompetentnostnogo podkhoda v professionalʹnom obrazovanii [Criteria for evaluating the efficiency of the organization of independent work of students in conditions of realization of the competence approach in vocational education]. Vestnik Volzhskogo universiteta im. V. N. Tatishcheva = Vestnik of Volzhsky University after V. N. Tatischev, no. 4(19) (2015): 84–91.
23. Verbitsky A. A. Aktivnoe obuchenie v vysshei shkole: kontekstnyi podkhod [Active higher education: contextual approach]. Moscow: Vyssh. shk., 1991, 207.
24. Platov V. Ia. Delovye igry: razrabotka, organizatsiia i provedenie [Business games: development, organization, and implementation]. Moscow: Profizdat, 1991, 156.
25. Sovremennye obrazovatelʹnye tekhnologii [Modern educational technology]. Ed. Bordovskaia N. V. Moscow: KNORUS, 2010, 432.