A personal brand unites one’s exceptionalism, individual traits, professionalism, experience, and reputation. In the era of the global digital media and strategic communication, a personal brand becomes a strategic asset that brings financial benefits. Its strategic role at the labor market is that it can increase one’s income, if properly invested in. However, the theory and methodology of strategic branding at the labor market remains understudied. The present research objective was to prove the effectiveness of investing in a personal brand in order to achieve strategic goals at the labor market. To analyze the basic concepts of signaling models and the game theory, the authors used the theory and methodology of strategizing developed by V.L. Kvint, Dr.Sc.(Econ.), Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Life-time). The authors believe that the era of information economy have turned strategic brands into a signaling mechanism. The relationship between personal brand and reputation forms the basis of the behavioral direction, which uses behavioral economics to define the effect of reputation on the labor market and employee behavior. The strategic development of a personal brand increases its competitiveness at the labor market, and a tailored employment strategy is likely to be successful in the long run. Keywords: personal strategy, brand, signaling, media system, labor market
personal strategy, brand, signaling, media system, labor market
1. Vartanov SA. A strategic approach to Russian media system analysis: defining mission, values and priorities. Strategizing: Theory and Practice. 2021;1(2):173–189. (In Russ.)
2. Gadzhialiev YaM. Employer branding as part of corporate branding. Journal of Economy and Business. 2020; 5-1(63):2020. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.24411/2411-0450-2020-10395
3. Gureeva AN, Vartanova MV. Deep mediatization as the basis of social world. Strategic Communications in Business and Politics. 2018;4:113–117. (In Russ.)
4. Kazakova KA, Filippova DV. Personal branding as a pr-activity area (with the example of the komi republic). PR and advertising in a changing world: a regional aspect. 2020;22:33–41. (In Russ.)
5. Kvint VL. The concept of strategizing. Vol. 1. St. Petersburg: NWIM RANEPA, 2019. 132 p. (In Russ.)
6. Kucherov DG, Lisovskaia AY, Alkanova ON, Tsybova VS. Employer branding practices in Russian subsidiaries of multinational companies. Menedzhment v Rossii i za rubezhom [Management in Russia and Abroad]. 2021;2:69–77. (In Russ.)
7. Nazarova UA. Preservation of social and productive employment in the epoch of the digital economy. Budushcheye sfery truda: globalnyye vyzovy i regionalnoye razvitiye. [The Future of Work: Global Challenges and Regional Development: Proceedings of the International Forum]; 2019; Ufa. Ufa; 2019. p. 321–323. (In Russ.)
8. Novikova IV, Khvorostyanaya AS. Povedencheskaya teoretiko-igrovaya model strategii razvitiya lichnogo brenda v tsifrovoy ekonomike [Behavioral game-theoretic model of personal brand development strategy in the digital economy]. Novaya ekonomika, biznes i obshchestvo [New Economy, Business and Society: Proceedings of the April Scientific and Practical Conference of Young Researchers]; 2022; Vladivostok. Vladivostok: Far Eastern Federal University; 2022. p. 309–316. (In Russ.)
9. Petrova VS. Adaptation of the labor market in the digital economy: Training of older population to new types of professional activity in KHMAO-Ugra. Moscow Economic Journal. 2019;13:83. https://doi.org/10.24411/2413-046X-2019-10354
10. Sotnikova DG. The use of artificial intelligence in education in our time, the ways of development and application of this technology in the future. Primeneniye iskusstvennogo intellekta v obrazovanii v nashe vremya. puti razvitiya i primeneniya etoy tekhnologii v budushchem. Innovatsionnyye nauchnyye issledovaniya: teoriya. metodologiya. tendentsii razvitiya sbornik nauchnykh statey po materialam III Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Innovative scientific research: theory, methodology, development trends: Proceedings of the III International Scientific and Practical Conference]; 2020; Ufa. Ufa: Vestnik nauki; 2020. p. 71–74. (In Russ.)
11. Tyutina AD, Galkin MV. Application of artificial intelligence in construction and architecture. Eurasian Scientific Association. 2021;3-6(73):481–483.
12. Khairullin AM, Zaripova RS. Application of artificial intelligence models in medicine. Information Technologies in Construction, Social and Economic Systems. 2020;3(21):40–42. (In Russ.)
13. Kvorostyanaya AS. Strategirovaniye industrii mody: teoriya i praktika [Strategizing the fashion industry: theory and practice]. St. Petersburg: North-Western Institute of Management – branch of RANEPA; 2021. 272 p. (In Russ.)
14. Khludneva AA, Hakobyan AM. The impact of personal branding on consumer perception in e-commerce. Innovation. The science. Education. 2021;32:750–754.
15. Yakovleva MA. The impact of the digital economy on the labor market. Upravlencheskiy i servisnyy potentsial tsifrovoy ekonomiki: problemy i perspektivy: materialy Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Managerial and service potential of the digital economy: problems and prospects: Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference]; Omsk. Omsk: Omsk State Technical University; 2020. p. 208–211. (In Russ.)
16. Abdurakhmanov KK, Kadirov SM, Nazhmitdinov AZ. The network nature of the digital economy and remote labor relations. International scientific review of the problems and prospects of modern science and education: LXXIX International Correspondence Scientific and Practical Conference. Boston; 2021. p. 22–29.
17. Achmad ES, Ruhaena L. Adolescent’s personal branding on Instagram. Al-Balagh: Jurnal Dakwah Dan Komunikasi. 2021;6(1):1–34. https://doi.org/10.22515/al-balagh.v6i1.3138
18. Alizadeh H, Nazarpour H. Effect of brand-consumer relationships on brand loyalty mediated by brand value creation and moderated by brand community characteristics in the hospitality industry. Revista Brasileira de Gestão de Negócios. 2022;24(4):594–616. https://doi.org/10.7819/rbgn.v24i4.4200
19. Andreoni J. Impure altruism and donations to public goods: A theory of warm-glow giving. The Economic Journal. 1990;100(401):464–477.
20. Anjasari B, Nikodemus W. Brand experience and WOM: The mediating effects of brand love, brand image, and brand loyalty. Asia Pacific Journal of Management and Education. 2022;5(3):48–57. https://doi.org/10.32535/apjme.v5i3.1765
21. Application of Artificial Intelligence in Agrometeorology / Faghih H. [et al.] 2021. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-565358/v1
22. Arcidiacono P, Bayer P, Hizmo A. Beyond signaling and human capital: Education and the revelation of ability. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics. 2010;2(4):76–104. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1602024
23. Ariely D, Bracha A, Meier S. Doing Good or Doing Well? Image Motivation and Monetary Incentives in Behaving Prosocially. American Economic Review 2009;99(1):544–555.
24. Aryal G, Bhuller M, Lange F. Signaling and employer learning with instruments. National Bureau of Economic Research. 2019;w25885.
25. Aumann RJ. War and peace. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2006;103(46):17075–17078. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0608329103
26. Banker RD, Darrough M, Li Sh, Threinen L. The value of precontract information about an agent's ability in the presence of moral hazard and adverse selection. Journal of Accounting Research. 2019;57(5):1201–1245. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679x.12290
27. Bénabou R, Tirole J. Incentives and prosocial behavior. American Economic Review. 2006;96(5):1652–1678. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.96.5.1652
28. Close AG, Moulard JG, Monroe KB. Establishing human brands: determinants of placement success for first faculty positions in marketing. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 2011;39(6):922–941. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-010-0221-6
29. Dr. Majid Moradi. Factors affecting personal branding in accounting. Webology. 2022;19(1):4990–5006. https://doi.org/0.14704/WEB/V19I1/WEB19335
30. Fan X, DeVaro J. Job hopping and adverse selection in the labor market. The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. 2020;36(1):84–138. https://doi.org/10.1093/jleo/ewz021
31. Gorbatov S, Khapova SN, Lysova EI. Get noticed to get ahead: The impact of personal branding on career success. Frontiers in Psychology. 2019;10:26–62. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02662
32. Gorbatov S, Khapova SN, Lysova EI. Personal branding: Interdisciplinary systematic review and research agenda. Frontiers in psychology. 2018;9:22–38. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02238
33. Goyal A, Pranay V. The relationship between brand engagement, brand loyalty, overall brand equity and purchase intention. Journal of Strategic Marketing. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2022.2149839
34. Han IW. Application of artificial intelligence in surgery. Annals of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery. 2021;25:S29. https://doi.org/10.14701/ahbps.BP-SY-3-4
35. Karpova EG, Gurenko ES. Values and value orientations of a digital leader in the digital economy era. Digital sociology. 2021;4(4):13–17. https://doi.org/10.26425/2658-347X-2021-4-4-13-17
36. Khedher M. Conceptualizing and researching personal branding effects on the employability. Journal of Brand Management. 2019; 26(2):99–109. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-018-0117-1
37. Khoo P, Ost B. The effect of graduating with honors on earnings. Labour Economics. 2018;55:149–162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.labeco.2018.05.012
38. Kim J-Y. Multidimensional signaling in the labor market. The Manchester School. 2007;75(s1):64–87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9957.2007.01038.x
39. Kowalski RM, Leary MR. Strategic self-presentation and the avoidance of aversive events: Antecedents and consequences of self-enhancement and self-depreciation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 1990;26:322–336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(90)90042-K
40. Mai QD. Unclear signals, uncertain prospects: the labor market consequences of freelancing in the new economy. Social Forces. 2021;99(3):895–920. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/soaa043
41. Mello S, Lanz L, Tomei P, Marins P. Corporate reputation, ethical brand and trust in the Brazilian Industry. S&G Journal. 2021;16:122–132. https://doi.org/10.20985/1980-5160.2021.v16n2.1639
42. Miles SJ, Mangold G. A conceptualization of the employee branding process. Journal of Relationship Marketing. 2004;3(2-3):65–87. https://doi.org/10.1300/J366v03n02_05
43. Molyneux L. What journalists retweet: opinion, humor, and brand development on Twitter. Journalism. 2015;16(7):920–935. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884914550135
44. Nalebuff B, Dixit AK. Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life. New York: Norton. 1991.
45. Nalebuff B, Dixit AK. The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist's Guide to Success in Business and Life. New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 2008.
46. Noble CH, Bentley JP, Campbell D, Singh JJ. In search of eminence: A personal brand-building perspective on the achievement of scholarly prominence in marketing. Journal of Marketing Education. 2010;32(3):314–327. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475310379337
47. Rai P, Chatrath H. Application of Artificial Intelligence in Chemistry. Green Chemistry. 2021;7(2). https://doi.org/10.18510/gctl.2021.722
48. Ramli R. Express brand personality as personal branding. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Communication and Media. 2021. p. 16–23. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2021.06.02.3
49. Plehn-Dujowich JM, Ramani V. Signals of ability in an agency model. International Journal of Economics and Accounting. 2018;9(1):29–64.
50. Roberts LM. Changing faces: Professional image construction in diverse organizational settings. Academy of Management Review. 2005;30(4):685–711. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2005.18378873
51. Schlosser F, McPhee DM, Forsyth J. Chance events and executive career rebranding: implications for career coaches and nonprofit HRM. Human Resource Management. 2017;56(4):571–591. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.21789
52. Spence M. Job Market Signaling. The Quarterly Journal of Economics. 1973;87(3):355–374.
53. Tran V, Ngoc N. Investigating the relationship between brand experience, brand authenticity, brand equity, and customer satisfaction: Evidence from Vietnam. Cogent Business & Management. 2022;9. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2022.2084968.
54. Volozhanin SS. Applications of artificial intelligence. Languages in professional communication: Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference of Teachers, Postgraduates and Students; 2020, Ekaterinburg. Ekaterinburg; 2020. p. 492–499.
55. Waldman M. The dual avenues of labor market signaling. Labour Economics. 2016;41:120–134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.labeco.2016.05.001
56. Waller T. An Introduction to Personal Branding. Personal Brand Management. 2020:1–16. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43744-2_1
57. Yan JS, Yang YS. Application of artificial intelligence in gastroenterology. 2022. https://doi.org/10.3760/cma.j.cn112138-20210921-00652
58. Zinko R, Rubin M. Personal reputation and the organization. Journal of Management & Organization. 2015;21:217–236. https://doi.org/10.1017/jmo.2014.76