Introduction. The socio-economic development of the Far East is a complex and long-term issue. It requires new priorities and prospective areas. The local gas industry can become such a development driver. It can trigger a breakthrough in the socio-economic development of the macroregion, but it needs large-scale strategic priorities and projects. The export of pipeline and compressed natural gas is one of such strategic directions. However, the region has to look for other prospective directions. The research objective was to define and substantiate such strategic opportunities for the development of the Far Eastern gas industry. Study objects and methods. The theoretical and methodological basis of the study relied on certain methodological provisions of industrial strategizing, e.g. OTSW analysis, which proved to be an effective tool for monitoring and justifying strategic opportunities. Results and discussion. The author identified strategic opportunities for the development of the Far East gas industry and came up with two strategic directions: 1) gasification of the Far East regions and 2) development of gas processing and gas chemistry production in the Far East. Conclusion. Further formation and implementation of strategic priorities in these areas will improve the gas industry in the Far East in the long run, while providing a multiplicative impulse of socio-economic development of the entire macroregion.
strategy, industrial strategizing, gas industry, Far East, gasification, gas processing and gas-chemistry
1. Aganbegyan AG. Development of the Far East: A national program in the context of national projects. Spatial Economics. 2019;15(3):165–181. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.14530/se.2019.3.165-181
2. Braginskiy OB. Russian petrochemical industry: A new road. Oil & Gas Chemistry. 2021;(3–4):5–8. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.24412/2310-8266-2021-3-4-5-8
3. Tarasova OV. Infrastruktura prostranstvennogo razvitiya RF: transport, ehnergetika, innovatsionnaya sistema, zhizneobespechenie [Infrastructure of spatial development of the Russian Federation: transport, energy, innovation system, and life support]. Novosibirsk: IEHOPP SO RAN; 2020. 456 p. (In Russ.)
4. Kalinenko EA, Sukhanova II. Obzor neftegazokhimicheskoy otrasli Rossii [An overview of Russian petrochemical industry]. Neftegaz.RU. 2021;109(1):70–78. (In Russ.)
5. Leonidova EG, Sidorov MA. Structural changes in the economy: Searching for sectoral drivers of growth. Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast. 2019;12(6):166–181. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.15838/esc.2019.6.66.9
6. Naumov YuA. On the features of air pollution in the Russian Far East. Ojkumena. Regional Researches. 2020;5(1):41–52. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.24866/1998-6785/2020-1/41-52
7. Kvint VL, Fetisov VA, Alimuradov MK, Astapov KL, Zadorozhnaya GV, Midov AZ, et al. The fundamentals of Russia's environmental development strategy. Moscow: Lomonosov Moscow State University – Publishing House; 2021. 77 p. (In Russ.)
8. Vyatkin YuL, Lishchiner II, Sinitsyn SA, Kuzʹmin AM. Perspektivnye napravleniya khimicheskoy pererabot-ki uglevodorodnogo cyrʹya [Promising directions in chemical processing of hydrocarbon raw materials]. Neftegaz.RU. 2020;100(4):114–118. (In Russ.)
9. Sasaev NI. Diversification of natural gas export flows as the strategic priority for the development of the Russian gas industry. Economic Revival of Russia. 2019;61(3):185–196. (In Russ.)
10. Sasaev NI. Strategizing of the Russian Far East gas industry: Systematization of main interests. Strategizing: Theory and Practice. 2021;1(2):242–251. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.21603/2782-2435-2021-1-2-242-251
11. Sasaev NI. Strategic diagnostics at the Russian Far East gas industry. Russian Journal of Industrial Eco-nomics. 2021;14(4):355–368. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2021-4-355-368
12. Sasaev NI. Teoreticheskie osnovy i metodologiya razrabotki strategii razvitiya gazovoy otrasli Rossii [Theoretical foundations and methodology for developing a development strategy for the Russian gas industry]. St. Petersburg: SZIU RANKhiGS; 2019. 176 p. (In Russ.)
13. Sasaev NI. Fundamental basis for the formation of a new strategizing culture. Russian Journal of Indus-trial Economics. 2021;14(2):153–163. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2021-2-153-163
14. Fadeev AM. Implementation of energy projects on the arctic shelf as a driver of socio-economic devel-opment of territories. Arktika 2035: aktualʹnye voprosy, problemy, resheniya [Arctic 2035: current is-sues, problems, and solutions]. 2020;3(3):56–63. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.51823/74670_2020_3_56
15. Filimonova IV, Shumilova SI, Dziuba YuA. Comprehensive analysis and forecast of subsoil use in the regions of Eastern Siberia and the Far East. Ehkologicheskiy vestnik Rossii [Ecological Bulletin of Russia]. 2019;(10):20–27. (In Russ.)
16. Darkin S, Kvint V. The Russian Far East: Strategic priorities for sustainable development. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2016. 166 p.
17. Kvint VL. Konzepte der Strategie: Impulse für Führungskräfte. Munchen: UVK Verlag; 2021. 128 p.
18. Kvint VL. Strategy for the global market: Theory and practical applications. New York: Routledge; 2016. 519 p.
19. Kvint VL. Teoretyczne i metodologiczne podstawy strategii. Warszawa: Poznanie; 2019. 116 p.
20. Novikova IV. The Russian Far East: Strategic development of the workforce. Burlington, Canada, Boca Raton: Apple Academic Press; 2020. 155 p.