The socio-economic development of regions and states depends on the combination of existing strategic factors, as well as on their competent implementation. Recent decades saw rapid dynamics and changes in the functioning conditions of economic systems: new trends have lead to new challenges and shocks at the global, national, regional, industry, and corporate levels. The deteriorating economic situation and the increasing pressure on the material and technological resources create additional restrictions and obstacles to sectoral and regional development in Russia. The disproportionate distribution of resources makes regions look for asymmetric and radically new strategic solutions, thus consolidating all available resources for a qualitative economic breakthrough. The Strategy of the Socio-Economic Development of the Kemerovo Region (Kuzbass) for the period up to 2035 was approved by the regional government. It establishes the fundamental transformation of Kuzbass into a large Siberian trade center and hub as a strategic priority for all directions, including industrial and regional development. The scale of the priority necessitates additional study of certain aspects of this strategic direction. The research objective was to determine the strategic relevance of the Kuzbass trade and transport hub in the strategizing of regional and sectoral development. The author assessed the interests in this strategic priority and their systematization by appropriate groups, defined the conceptual structure of the Kuzbass trade and transport hub, highlighted the relationship with the strategic contours of the Strategy of Socio-Economic Development, explained the role of the future hub for sectoral and regional strategizing, and indicated its social and economic efficiency.
Kuzbass, hub, strategizing, economic and social development
1. Goryachikh MV, Kravchenko LA. Free economic zone as a factor of regional economic development. Scientific Bulletin: finance, banking, investment. 2020;51(2):213–222. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.37279/2312-5330-2020-2-213-222
2. Dinets DA, Konotopov MV. International transport corridors: prospects for Russia. Transport Infrastructure of the Siberian Region. 2018;2:48–53. (In Russ.)
3. Ershov MV. The world in 2020: New challenges expose systemic changes in the economy. Voprosy Ekonomiki. 2020;(12):5–23. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.32609/0042-8736-2020-12-5-23
4. Igityan MYu. Chinese foreign policy in Central Asia and Russia’s interests. Vlast’. 2019;27(3):250–259. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.31171/vlast.v27i3.6453
5. Kvint VL. The concept of strategizing. Kemerovo: Kemerovo State University; 2020. 170 p. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.21603/978-5-8353-2562-7
6. Kvint VL. Theoretical basis and methodology of strategizing of the private and public sectors of the Kuzbass region as a medial subsystem of the national economy. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):290–299. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-290-299
7. Kvint VL, Khvorostyanaya AS, Sasaev NI. Advanced technologies in strategizing. Economics and Management. 2020;26(11):1170–1179. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.35854/1998-1627-2020-11-1170-1179
8. Ksenofontova O. Industrial clusters as a factor in the development of the region: The theoretical aspect. Modern High Technologies. Regional Application. 2015;44(4):66–71. (In Russ.)
9. Livchits VN, Mironova IA, Shvetsov AN. Evaluating investment projects efficiency in various conditions. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2019;12(1):29–43. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2019-1-29-43
10. Mayorov IM, Shcheglov MV. Free economic zones as a tool for attracting foreign investments in the national economy: experience of China. Fundamental research. 2018;(3):52–57. (In Russ.)
11. Mirzieeva SSh. Rationale for strategic prioritization of industries within the structure of Uzbekistan’s economy. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2019;12(1):4–17. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2019-1-4-17
12. Ramazanova A. Optimization of location of transport and logistics centers at the example of the Republic of Kazakhstan. World of Transport and Transportation Journal. 2020;17(5):214–227. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.30932/1992-3252-2019-17-5-214-227
13. Rodionov VA. Mongolia’s national security in the context of the relations with Russia. Vlast’. 2015;21(2):137–140. (In Russ.)
14. Sasaev NI. The primary assessment of the economic efficiency of strategic directions of development of gas industry in Russia. Economics and Mathematical Methods. 2020;56(2)52–65. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.31857/S042473880009219-9
15. Sasaev NI. Theoretical foundations and methodology for designing a strategy for gas industry development in Russia. St. Petersburg: SZIU RANKhiGS; 2019. 176 p. (In Russ.)
16. Kvint VL, Alimuradov MK, Astapov KL, Alekseev GF, Bagaev DV, Boksgorn AA, et al. Strategic economic and investment development of Kuzbass. Kemerovo: Kemerovo State University; 2021. 349 p. (In Russ.)
17. Shevchuk AV, Panov AA, Efimov VI, Mekush GE. Strategic priorities of the environmental development of Kuzbass for the period until 2035. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):348–356. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-348-356.
18. Madiyev D, Mukhametkhanuly N, Zhanymkhan O, Ardak K. Xinjiang development strategy and socio-economic development of its border areas. Central Asia and the Caucasus. 2019;22(2):79–92. (In Russ.)
19. Tsivilev SE. Kuzbass 2035: National interests and strategic priorities of the regional development. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):281–289. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-281-289
20. Khvorostyanaya AS, Egorova AI, Maslov AA, Kolupaeva AV. The Kuzbass region strategic branding digitalization. Russian Journal of Industrial Economics. 2020;13(3):409–416. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17073/2072-1633-2020-3-409-416
21. Aganbegyan AG. Investments in fixed assets and human capital: Two interconnected drivers of socioeconomic growth. Studies on Russian Economic Development. 2017;28(4):361–363. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1075700717040025
22. Kvint VL, Okrepilov VV. Quality of life and values in national development strategies. Herald of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2014;84(3):188–200. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1019331614030058
23. Kvint V. Strategy for the global market: theory and practical applications. New York, London: Routledge: 2016. 548 p.
24. Kvint V. The global emerging market: Strategic management and economics. New York: Routledge; 2009. 488 p. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203882917
25. Phelps ES. Mass flourishing: How grassroots innovation created jobs, challenge, and change. Princeton University Press; 2013. 385 p.