The research features the topical problem of formation and functioning of single-industry towns. The paper gives the quantitative parameters of some single-industry towns of the Russian Federation and the Far East, as well as the main factors of their development and related problems, such as unemployment, demography, migration, and absence of residents-investors. For example, a program of complex development of single-industry towns has been developed and implemented in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) with the main focus on creating new jobs. As a result, industrial enterprises are expected to attract at least 10,000 people from the local population by 2020. The author offers some possible solutions and substantiates the expediency of feasibility studies when choosing a method of development of each specific deposit. The studies should be based on the production capacity of the future enterprise. The obtained data predict when the local deposits will be exhausted and, thus, the prospective operation life of the settlement. Only after that, either stationary settlement or rotational team method can be chosen.
regions, single-industry, resources, power, watch
1. Rossiiskaia Arktika: sovremennaia paradigma razvitiia [Russian Arctic: modern development paradigm]. Ed. Tatarkin A. I. Saint-Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriia, 2014, 843.
2. Zamyatina M. F. Diversifikatsiia ekonomiki monoprofilʹnykh gorodov AZ RF [Diversification of the economy of single-industry cities in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation]. Rossiiskaia Arktika: sovremennaia paradigma razvitiia [Russian Arctic: modern development paradigm]. Ed. Tatarkin A. I. Saint-Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriia, 2014, 719–778.
3. Piliasov A. N. Razvitie gorodov-tsentrov – forpostnykh baz severnogo frontira [Development of center cities as outpost bases at the northern frontier]. Vestnik Severo-Vostochnogo nauchnogo tsentra DVO RAN = Bulletin of the North-East Science Center, no. 1 (2016): 107–118.
4. Tsitsiashvili G. Sh., Sidorkina Z. I. Malye goroda v sisteme rasseleniia dalʹnego Vostoka: problemy ustoichivosti [Small cities in the Far East settlement system: problems of sustainability]. Perspektivy razvitiia biznesa v usloviiakh malykh gorodov Dalʹnego Vostoka: sb. tr. Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Prospects for business development in small towns of the Far East: Proc. Intern. Sci.-Prac. Conf.]. Vladivostok: Izd-vo Dalʹnevost. tekhn. un-ta, 2007, 24–31.
5. Belʹskaia E. E. Malye goroda: sotsialʹno-ekonomicheskie i demograficheskie problemy i perspektivy razvitiia (Regionalʹnyi analiz na primere Dalʹnego Vostoka). Diss. kand. geogr. nauk [Belskaya E. E. Small cities: socio-economic and demographic problems and development prospects (Regional analysis on the example of the Far East). Cand. Geogr. Sci. Diss.]. Vladivostok, 2005, 196.